Who leads CLH projects?
- Friends, neighbours, family members
- Where a local community group initiates and champions the development
Existing community organisation-led development
- Established community organisations, charities, churches, voluntary associations
- Where an existing community organisation decides that it either wishes to develop homes for the first time or add to existing homes it owns or manages
- Local authorities, housing associations, private developers
- Where a developer decides to develop a community-led housing scheme, initiates the scheme and does what is necessary to make it happen, and then recruits founder members to forge into a community group that will take on ownership, management or stewardship of the scheme
Note: In all three types of development, community input and ownership of the project is key!
A group that will steer the project throughout the development. It could be future residents, the wider community, or a mixture of both. Utilising the following engagement methods, a group of diverse members will be able to be formed to steer the project:
- Word of mouth
- Local authority and other registers
- Media networks
- Open days/events
- Community networks